Beautiful Books #3: Let's Talk Editing

Beautiful Books is hosted by Cait @ Paper Fury and Sky @Further Up and Further In


It's time for the last Beautiful Books linkup. Although I didn't participate the first month, I had fun doing the second month, and now this one. I finished NaNo (NOVEMBER 29TH WHOOO) and now it's time to talk about editing. 

 

1. On a scale of 1 (worst) to 10 (best) how well do you think this book turned out?


Nah, just kidding. Partially. I haven't even finished it yet, but I already dread doing the read through. In terms of actual writing and readability, I'd give it a 3. For effort, I'd go 8, because I really enjoyed writing Half Full of Water even if it came out a mess.

2. Have you ever rewritten or edited one of your books before? If so, what do you do to prepare yourself? If not, what’s your plan?


Nope. This is the first time I've even even been close to the editing stage. I'm not done with the novel, but it requires some serious editing and plot reevaluations before I continue any further. I'm going to read through it (I've already tortured my printer by printing a copy) for enjoyment, then a second time with a red pen, sticky notes, and chocolate.

3. What’s your final word count? Do you plan to lengthen or trim your book?


My final word count is clocking in at 50k, but I want to extend it to at least 70k. Doing NaNo taught me how small 50k is.

4. What’s are you most proud of? Plot, characters, or pacing?


Characters! They need to be worked out and defined more, but in general I love them. They're an interesting bunch of people. There's this little fluffball named Rise, and he's seriously the best character I've ever created. I kind of like him more than the main character.

5. What’s your favorite bit of prose or line from this novel?

 I'd have to go through and read again, but off the top of my head.

Once, when I was smaller—humans called it young, but I called it the years before I turned pimply and gross—the Witch fell down a well. She was too young, and I could remember the sound of her grubby hands scratching at the well’s walls. I leaned over the edge, just enough so that I could see the top of her blonde head. It was matted with blood.
 

“Lire!” she screamed. I looked around. The park surrounding the well had been deserted as soon as the Witch and I had shown up. Anyone who could be considered “adult” had vanished with their child. I couldn’t blame them. Even at that age, I knew the Witch was a forbidden B-word.
* * *

When I presented the Witch with the heart, she was thoroughly disgusted and delighted. Her parents were out for dinner, and my parents were out avoiding me.

* * *
His face remains doubtful and unconvinced. “And you’re not worried her Witch will come and kill us all?” He directs this question at Charlie and Rise.
“Pretty not worried,” says Rise.
Either Sijak buys the half-truth we told him, or he sees no point in arguing further, but he switches the subject. I’m betting on the latter. “Do you have any useful skills?”
“She can take control of people’s bodies and scramble their brains. Don’t tell me that’s not useful,” Charlie answers. I’m grateful that I don’t have to speak for myself.

Sijak has the same expression on his face that Charlie did when I told him the news. “Don’t worry about that. She said the process was quite painful for her as well, and she doesn’t do it frequently.”

“I’m not worried about that. I’m worried about the state of your intelligence. Kidnapping a Witch’s Guardian? Are you both insane?”
Rise and Charlie shrink under the reprimand. “It’s not kidnapping. She came along willingly.” Rise says.

“That’s even worse.” Sijak rubs his temple. “Are you sure this Witch isn’t a danger.”

“Dead sure.” Sijak’s eyes widen a small fraction at Rise’s choice of words. Luckily, he doesn’t push it.
“Why do you always pick up the worst strays?” he groans.
“Like you?” Charlie says wryly. Rise snickers.


6. What aspect of your book needs the most work?


. . .everything. Plot, pacing, worldbuilding, characters. I've jumped around so much in this novel, who even knows what's happening anymore. 

7. What aspect of your book is your favorite?


The world and the characters. I have so many ideas for the world that I wasn't able to integrate in during NaNo, and now I have tons of free time.

8. How are your characters? Well-rounded, or do they still need to be fleshed-out?


They need a lot of fleshing. My main character Lire could use a personality transplant. Or two. The rest of the characters need defined traits. It feels like their character's personalities flippity-floppited (don't judge my words) around depending on the situation and what was convincing for that scene.

9. If you had to do it over again, what would you change about the whole process?


I'd have an actual plot. Maybe some defined characters or two.

10. Did anything happen in your book that completely surprised you? Have any scenes or characters turned out differently to what you planned? Good or bad?


Lire had an entire chapter romancing this random chick she met after punching another character in the face. It legit came out of nowhere.

My other character, Rise, just flies off the handle one day and decides he hates Lire, even though I intended for them to be bros.

11. What was the theme and message? Do you think it came across? If not, is there anything you could do to bring it out more?


So far, Half Full of Water doesn't have a theme, and it makes me sad because I usually incorporate themes into my story, but I'm drawing up blanks here. Sitting down and actually coming up with a plot will probably help.

Possible themes include the morality of "just following orders" and such.

12. Do you like writing with a deadline (like NaNoWriMo) or do you prefer to write-as-it-comes?

I actually think NaNoWriMo deadline-type things work better for me. I enjoy the craziness of trying to get 50k in a month.

 13. Comparative title time! What published books, movies, or TV shows are like your book? (Ex: Inkheart meets X-Men, etc.)


Ah ah ah oh no I actually have no idea for this one. xD I try to think of books similar to mine, but nothing pops in. Maybe when I go back and edit and outline, I'll have a better idea.

For now, all I have is Inception.

So it's a little bit of this


but with magic and stuff.

14. How do you celebrate a finished novel?! 

I haven't finished one, but I imagine it'll be something like this


Then I'd be like this 

15. When people are done reading your book, what feeling do you want them to come away with?

 I want people to laugh. I want them to cheer. I also want them to cry their eyes out and be completely horrified. That sounds evil, but I want my story to touch people on every level and stay with them like an old friend. 

And that's it for Beautiful Books! How's the editing process going for the rest of you guys? In the middle of it? Just beginning? I want to know!

CONVERSATION