Beautiful People #5-Author Edition




 
Beautiful People hosted by Sky @ Further Up and Further In and Cait @ Paper Fury is an awesome monthly linkup to help writers get to know their books and character. This month's linkup is a little different, because it's all about moi.

1. How many years have you been writing? When did you officially consider yourself a ‘writer’?


I've been "writing" for about six years, but I don't think I actually considered myself a real writer until two years or so ago.

2. How/why did you start writing?

FANFICTION BRUH. I use to read so much Harry Potter fanfiction that I wanted to give it a shot too. Unfortunately, I'm really bad at fanfiction, but I eventually took an interest in writing original stories. All of my first stories were Grey's Anatomy-rip offs.

3. What’s your favorite part of writing?

Coming up with the idea and building the world. I could sit around for hours daydreaming/writing extreme plots and stuffs. Also, I love it when people read my writing and it actually disturbs them on an emotional level and they don't know how to react afterwards.

4. What’s your biggest writing struggle?

Actually writing. And descriptions. I swear, most of my stories consist of characters standing around in a white room talking.

5. Do you write best at night or day?

I think I'm a night owl. During the day I get too distracted by the internet, so I never get any writing down, but by nighttime everything's kind of dead, so then I have nothing else to be distracted by.

6. What does your writing space look like? (Feel free to show us pictures!)

I create on nothing less than a throne of wood-stuffs!
 
In my dreams
 
My writing space is anywhere I rest my posterior. I'm not one of those writers who needs a specific "creative" spot to create. As long as I have my laptop my throne and it's semi-quiet, I'm good.

7. How long does it typically take you to write a complete draft?

Still haven't gotten there, unfortunately.

8. How many projects do you work on at once?

One. . . two . . . four. . . a lot? Jk, at most I work on two at once. I might do a few short stories in between when I lose inspiration.

9. Do you prefer writing happy endings, sad ones, or somewhere in between?

I'm a depressing writer, so all of my endings either end up sad or in between. No one's feels are safe.
Readers everywhere

10. List a few authors who’ve influenced your writing journey.

JK Rowling: This is an obvious one. If it weren't for Rowling and her fantastic series I don't know if I would have ever actually gotten up the nerve to write anything.

Christopher Pike: A lot of people might have spent their childhood reading RL Stine (I did too), I spent it reading Christopher Pike. His book, The Starlight Crystal, is still one of my favorite books of all time. I can reread it thirty times a year and never get bored of the story. Also, he deserves credit for helping me develop an interest in horror.

Stephen King: He also got me interested in the creepy and horrific, even if some of his books are a hit or miss.

Gary Paulsen: I haven't read any of his other books, but I'm going to put The Transall Saga next to Pike's book as one of my favorite of all time. I haven't read it that much (because I don't own a copy), but this story has stuck with me since elementary school, and very rarely do I remember that many books. How could I not love such a unique concept? I think this was one of the books that told me it's completely okay to have the bizzare happen.

Cassandra Clare: Yeah, I'm no longer a CC fan, but I got to give credit where credit is due. A lot of my earlier writing was influenced by Clare's in The Mortal Instruments. I developed my own comedic style thanks to her.

11. Do you let people read your writing? Why or why not?

Yeah, I'm not really that shy anymore. I've taken creative writing classes and workshopped my pieces with twenty others. I'll let my writer friends read my writing and I post some of it on wattpad.

12. What’s your ultimate writing goal or dream?

Publish a book that doesn't make people's eyes bleed.

13. If you didn’t write, what would you want to do?

Well, even though I want to be a fulltime writer, that's unlikely to happen, to I want to be an editor. Either freelance or with a publishing house.

14. Do you have a book you’d like to write one day but don’t feel you’re ready to attempt it yet?

Yes. I have a sci-fi/time travel story I came up with two years ago, and I always think about it, but I don't think I have the skill to pull it off. Tentative title is Dawn before Dusk and here's a rough pitch:

 “The Humans are in.”

Once known as the most peaceful planet in the galaxy, Vrasatii is now a world caught in a dangerous war with its neighbor, the humans.


War is all Mirin has ever known. Since she was little, it was one safe house to the next, as her scientist parents helped develop weapons to help the military. Until the military decided they were no longer useful and her parents were executed. The only thing she had to remember them by was a small mirror that sometimes showed a little boy human with blue eyes.

Now, at the age of sixteen, Mirin is getting ready to fight for the same military that killed her parents. The mirror is empty, but the humans are still fighting, and more Vras are dying every day. Monetary and security compensation is being offered to any family who sends out able Vras to fight for the cause. Mirin knows it’s suicide, but she joins the military so that her younger and older brother can be spared.

When a strange human in a mask appears in her mirror one night, Mirin keeps it a secret. Interacting with a human is grounds for execution. But every night, the man returns, sometimes alone, sometimes with other humans, and Mirin can’t shake the feeling she’s being watched, by both humans and Vras. . .

It's gonna feature time travel and war and betrayal and romance spread across time and ugh I just wanna write it so bad.



I even made a book cover for it because I was so thirsty.

15. Which story has your heart and won’t let go?


Well, besides Dawn before Dusk, there's my NaNo story Half Full of Water that I'm in love with as well as a story I middle-grade paranormal ghost story I started writing when I was fourteen called Flicker.

Pitches for both:

Half Full of Water

Thousands of years ago, the very fabric of reality was fractured as another reality collided with ours. The result? Entire countries wiped off the map, millions dead, and a brand new system of magic users in a previously magic-less world.

Nineteen-year-old Lire is a Guardian; meaning she’s a glorified slave to a psychopathic witch with an inferiority complex. Lire would do anything for her witch – has to do anything – including sacrifice her life. But when thieves stab the Witch during a robbery, Lire breaks the rules and watches her die.


The thieves kidnap Lire, sure that her magical abilities will come in handy. Lire is thrown into a wide, tumultuous world, ravaged by disease and poison. A world she’s never known and one she’s afraid of knowing too well.

In a crowded bar, a man approaches them with a proposition for the ultimate heist: Steal into the Kings labs and revive the murdered God of Wisdom and Justice. The dead God has the ability to travel through different realities, and will be a guide for the millions of Witches and Guardians persecuted every day. The other reality is a place Lire always dreamed of going. Now she must team up and help the thieves pull off the ultimate heist, so she can find a way out of the wretched world she refuses to call home.  

Flicker

When his imaginary childhood friend appears in his bedroom, fourteen-year-old Avery Slater learns that getting rid of the dead is harder than he thought.

Ever since childhood, Avery has been forced to listen to the whining of the dead. Crazy dead cat ladies and angry hit-and-run victims just love to tell him about their undead problems. After moving to the dinky town of Gravenhague, he thought he'd finally be able to leave all of that ghostly nonsense behind. Sebastian was never one for following plans.

Fifty years old with the temper of a raging third grader, Sebastian has a task only Avery can complete: Find his killer and set his soul free. Not an easy thing when the only clues are a broken violin, a feather, and the faint smell of lilac before death.

All Avery wants is to get this mystery over with, but with a seedy cult called Blacklight working to cover up the strange happenings of Gravenhague, it's more than a headache. As he descends deeper into the mystery, he discovers this isn't your average sleuthing case. Blacklight's spies are watching, and the town's occupants are less than hospitable. With disappearances and death shadowing him, Avery has to wonder if getting rid of Sebastian is worth the hassle.

If being haunted by ghosts has taught him anything, it’s that he never wants to be one.

And that's it. Bye y'all!

 

CONVERSATION